- Explore Lake Taupo Map
Things To Do
Things To Do
- Attractions & Must Dos
- Ski & Snowboard
- Free Activities
- Great Outdoors
- Maori Culture
- Rainy Days
- Scenic Flights
- Trout Fishing
- Walking & Hiking
- Water Activities
- List Your Business
- Spring in Great Lake Taupo
- Summer in Great Lake Taupo
- Autumn in Great Lake Taupo
- Winter in Great Lake Taupo
- Shop, Eat & Drink
Summer Landing Page Banner
Great Lake Taupo Highlights & Attractions
Stuff we are famous for:
- Visit Huka Falls, New Zealand’s most visited natural attraction.
- Home of Huka Lodge – one of the top 5 luxury lodges in the world.
- Jet boating to the base of New Zealand’s most visited natural attraction – Huka Falls, or over rapids on the Waikato River – like rafting in a jet boat.
- The Tongariro Alpine Crossing - New Zealand’s most popular 1-day walk through the land of Mordor. Climb Mt Doom (Mt Ngauruhoe) within the dual World Heritage Listed Tongariro National Park.
- The largest fresh water lake in the southern hemisphere – the size of Singapore.
- Turangi, the trout fishing capital of the world and home of the Tongariro National Trout Centre and hatchery.
- Wairakei International Golf Course and Sanctuary - New Zealand’s only world class golf course with an eco-sanctuary and kiwi chicks raised in conjunction with The Department of Conservation.
- Home of the Great Lake Trail. This is one of New Zealand’s great rides and forms part of over 200km of mountain biking trails throughout the region. The pumice, free draining soil makes it a year-round biking destination.
- Kayak on Great Lake Taupo to view 10m tall Maori Rock Carvings. The carvings depict Ngatoroirangi, a visionary Maori navigator who guided the Tuwharetoa and Te Awawa tribes to the Lake Taupo area over a thousand years ago.
- Ski on the largest ski field in New Zealand, Whakapapa ski field, situated on an active volcano. Enjoy après-ski at the highest café in New Zealand.
- With more than 30,000 jumps per year, Great Lake Taupo is the skydiving capital of the world, with the largest commercial drop zone in New Zealand.
- Home to 2 of the biggest biking events on the annual cycling calendar – The Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge attracts 10,000+ participants riding 160 km round the Lake, and the 12 hour Day Night Thriller attracts 3,000 mountain bikers.
- Highest and only water-touch bungy in New Zealand over the Waikato River.
- Wairakei Terraces - Home of the world’s only replica of the famous “pink and white terraces”. The on-site spa uses the silica-rich waters, renowned in Maori folk-lore for their healing and therapeutic properties