- Explore Lake Taupo Map
Things To Do
Things To Do
- Attractions & Must Dos
- Ski & Snowboard
- Free Activities
- Great Outdoors
- Maori Culture
- Rainy Days
- Scenic Flights
- Trout Fishing
- Walking & Hiking
- Water Activities
- List Your Business
- Spring in Great Lake Taupo
- Summer in Great Lake Taupo
- Autumn in Great Lake Taupo
- Winter in Great Lake Taupo
- Shop, Eat & Drink
Taupo My Favourite Place
10-year old Ben Pattinson from Auckland was given a school assignment to give a 3 minute speech about his favourite place. He naturally chose Lake Taupo and here's his speech.
By Ben Pattinson
Today I’m going to talk to you about my favourite place – Lake Taupo.
Lake Taupo is just the coolest place in the world - I loved living there. I mean come on - there’s the lake for cooling off in the summer, the mountains for skiing in the winter, the best mountain bike tracks and all the awesome attractions.
A few interesting facts about the Great Lake:
- Lake Taupo is in the middle of the north island and is 622sq km – it’s massive – it’s the same size as Singapore!
- The lake reaches a depth of 186 m – this is the same as the observation deck on the Auckland Sky Tower.
- The lake is a series of old volcanic craters
- The most recent eruption was 1800 years ago
- It’s full name is Taupo-nui-a-tia – meaning the great cloak of Tia, who was an Maori chief.
Fun on the lake:
In the summer, me and my family would spend hours out on the lake with my dad’s jet ski, we had so much fun whizzing around on the biscuit. After school mum would take us down to the lake for a swim, the water is so clear and there are lots of warm spots in the lake.
Lots of people go fishing for trout, I caught one once but it was my first fish and it was good luck to throw it back. Smoked trout is so delicious. There are so many activities to do on the lake, like kayaking, paddle boarding, water skiing, boating, parasailing, lake cruises, jet skiing the list goes on.
There are so many attractions in Taupo here are a few of my favourites:
- Action World
- Huka Prawn Park
- Lake Taupo Hole-in-one challenge
- Taupo DeBrett’s Hot Springs
- AC Baths
- Spa park
- And the awesome Hukafalls Jet ride
For the thrill seekers like my dad and sisters, there is also the bungy, white water rafting and skydiving. There are also lots of cool mountain biking tracks in the forest – Craters MTB Park is wicked!
At the other side of the lake there are the 3 mountains, Mt Ruapahu, Tongariro and Ngauruhoe. I used to be in the school ski team, so every winter on Fridays we go to Mt Ruapahu to ski – how cool is that. No school on Fridays, JUST SKIING!!!
Taupo also holds lots of international events like, Ironman, speed boat racing, water skiing championships, motor sports and also concerts.
So you see Taupo is such a fun place to live or visit. I miss it lots, but I am glad that we are not that far away and can still go back for holidays.