Tongariro Alpine Crossing Planning & What To Bring
The weather on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is extremely unpredictable. It can change from warm and sunny to cold and windy in a few minutes. Make sure you are prepared!
Tongariro Alpine Crossing - What to Bring
- Sufficient high energy food and plenty of fluid, especially on hot days.
- Waterproof jacket / raincoat and over trousers
- Strong sturdy boots (You will be trekking on uneven volcanic terrain)
- Warm woolen, fleece or polypropylene clothing
- Gloves and hat
- Sunblock and sunglasses
- Personal first aid kit
- Map and compass
- Specialised mountaineering equipment and guide is needed in winter
- 2 x mobile phones with different providers in case of emergency
Tongariro Alpine Crossing in Winter
- Ice axe and crampons (and know how to use them)
- Snow gaiters
- A compass and map (in poor visibility)
- Avalanche probe/snow shovel in winter
- Avalanche transceiver
Please check at the visitor centre for up-to-date information on weather, Tongariro track conditions and avalanche forecast.
If you are intending to spend the night, please fill in an intention form at the Department of Conservation Visitor Centre and remember to let them know when you have completed your hike.