Taupo, Turangi & Tongariro : Interesting Facts
Test your knowledge about Great Lake Taupo! Check out some of the interesting facts about Great Lake Taupo:
• Huka Falls is one of the most visited and photographed attractions in New Zealand.
• Lake Taupo is the largest lake in New Zealand and the largest freshwater lake in Oceania
• Skydiving is a popular activity in Taupo since Taupo has New Zealand’s largest commercialised skydive drop zone.
• The Ngatoroirangi Maori Rock Carving at Mine Bay took four summers to complete.
• The Waipahihi Botanical Reserve has up to 30 volunteers that spend 2-3 hours tending to the gardens every week.
• Tongariro Alpine Crossing has been noted as “A life changing experience” by Lonely Planet and is one of the best one day walks in New Zealand.
• Mt Ruapheu is New Zealand’s largest skiing area and also an active volcano.
• Trout fishing in Taupo is one of the most popular activities that people travel to the region specifically for; the first trout was caught in April 1904 weighing 1.36 kg.
• The blue duck (or whio; Hymenolaimus malacorhynchos) is a unique threatened species of waterfowl endemic to New Zealand. Find out more about the conservation efforts of this endangered whio / Blue Duck.